Tuesday, February 1, 2011

LIZARDS (Anole)

I am delighted by the antics of my resident Anole Lizards.  They are intelligent, acrobatic and love having their picture taken.  I have learned they are territorial and do not hesitate to chase off new young lizards trying to find their own personal area.  They are as fierce in battle, as they are in love.  The males can be very macho in showing their dewlap (the red skin of their throat).  Intense at listening when you talk to them and very curious about what you are doing.  There was one young female, whom I named "Lizzie", who watched me work outside for several hours.  I stopped and took some nice still photos, for which she posed graciously...smiling sweetly.  I worked another hour or so and she was still there.  I finally asked her, "What do you want Lizzie?  Do you want to play?" ...and she did just that.  I put the camera on video and she played as close to kitten-like as a young lizard could.  I was amazed as we played.  As I said "I'm going to get you.." over and over, pointing my finger so close I touched her tiny foot a couple of time...she would shake her little head, stamp her tiny feet, raised her long tail in the air, turned quickly side to side...then she moved a few inches and we played hide-n-seek.  She never ran away and was still there when I finally went inside. 

 LIZZIE with her sweet smile and trusting innocence.
 This little guy fell in love with HIMSELF in the mirror!  Kiss, Kiss.
 Showing off his dewlap and flexing his muscles for the camera.
 One of their many comical acrobatic moments.
 I always wondered where they sleep at night.  Now we know.
 Finding a flower to sleep on at night in the winter required opting for a silk one.
An intelligent and intense listener.  The eyes are the windows of all living souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment