Sunday, March 6, 2011

BABY CATERPILLAR & THE ANT

I first noticed the baby caterpillar (Gulf Fritillary Butterfly) on the Passion Flower vine in my entrance walkway.  During the photo session, I did not even notice the ants on the same vine. It was not until reviewing the photos that I realized how clearly evident their attention to each other was.  I had, simply by chance, captured a brief social moment between their two very different species.


In the first photo the baby caterpillar is bending his head down toward the ant just below.  In the second photo the baby caterpillar has raised up on tip toe and is intently exchanging cordial acknowledgement with both new friends.


They seem to be introducing themselves for the first time.

The ant seems to have brought another ant to meet his new big, scary friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment