Wednesday, July 11, 2012

"LIFE CYCLE" of the GULF FRITILLARY BUTTERFLY

This was the first butterfly I raised.  I have a lot of Purple Passion Vines, so I often see them flitting about my yard in pairs.  One of the vines is growing across the window behind my computer screen and I watch them laying eggs almost daily.  Of course, I also see the anole lizards darting across the outside screen hunting.  The spots on the underside of the butterfly wings appears white, but is actually a silver metallic color.  (Another one of my "Life Cycles" Exhibit species displayed in Children's Museum of Houston and San Antonio Children's Museum.)






MATING


LAYING EGG


EGG


MATURE CATERPILLAR


CATERPILLAR CHANGING INTO CHRYSALIS


CHRYSALIS WITH SHED SKIN AT TOP


UNDERSIDE VIEW OF WING 


TOP VIEW OF WINGS

No comments:

Post a Comment