Saturday, August 11, 2012

NIGHTHAWK & BABY

There is a building close to my home which I check periodically to be sure the roof drainage has provided a small water supply for local birds and other wildlife.  Today, I noticed a bird sitting motionless.  Assuming it might be wounded, I approached it slowly.  It was a Nighthawk.  Suddenly alert, she jumped up, spread her wings wide and threatened me warningly.  Then I saw why.  She had been sitting on and protecting her small baby.  The baby was alive.  The mother was exhausted, not able to leave to eat or get food for her baby.  I noticed several Grackle birds anxiously waiting in the nearby tree, wanting desperately to get a drink.  For the time being, there was shade on the cemented area where the baby lay.  But the Texas summer sun was moving fast and the temperature on the cement would reach above 100 degrees soon.  This would surely kill the baby and possibly the mother, who would not abandon her baby.  I knew I had to hurry to help give them both a chance.  I quickly went to a dollar store nearby and purchased moss, kleenex, wire and a small basket.  I created a make shift nest and attached it firmly in the nearby shade tree.  When I approached the baby, the mother Nighthawk once again spread her wings and clucked loudly.  I stopped, crouching low, and explained in a soft voice my intentions.  Telling her what a wonderful mother she was and  assuring that her baby would not be harmed.  I gently picked up her precious baby and placed it into the new nest.  The baby was chirping loudly when I left, so I knew the mother would have no problem finding it.  In life, it is the moments of opportunity we are given to do something noble and experience compassion through action.  We may have no control of the final outcome, but a new chance was given.  














No comments:

Post a Comment